8 People Who Blow My Tiger Socks Off!

Having influence is not about elevating self, but about lifting others.

Sheri Dew

Elizabeth Berg: I’ve termed Berg my hot fudge sundae author, which means her words taste good and cause you to say Ahhhh, Ooooo, Yessss. I’ve read all of her books more than once, including Talk before Sleep, The Day I Ate Whatever I wanted, Pull of the Moon, Open House & Home Safe. She says what women want to say before we say it. ( Pull of the Moon is my favorite )

Lady Gaga: I’ve always known she was more than glitter, gold, green eye shadow, and raw steaks. She has a powerful voice, which speaks to volumes of women about rising, empowerment, hope, freedom, and speaking out without apology. Although she’s much younger than me, I look up to her as a role model and leader of the next generation of girls.

My Daddy: He’s read every single thing I’ve ever written and not once E V E R judged me for my beliefs, crazy mourning, and numerous F words. He’s taught me about God, love, forgiveness, hope, and being curious about the simple things in life…Such as home-made spaghetti sauce, the old testament, Black Eyed Susan’s, and the Oscar winning actors of the films, Casablanca and White Heat.  He texts me each morning to say he loves me. It never gets old.

Billy Bob Thornton: I like bad boys. What can I say? But Billy has much more substance and depth than just a bad boy. He’s not your typical, good looking actor, but who cares when you’re smart as hell, insightful, and amazingly talented. Also, I REALLY love what he says about his brother and mourning and grieving in this video.

Malala: A girl after my own heart. Malala was born to lead and change the world…even if that meant losing her own life in the process. Read her book “I Am Malala” and fall in love with her, too!

Jesus: The KING of the freaking universe. I mean, He saved me from self destruction. Need I elaborate? Ok, I will. He knows what I need before I do: the books, the poetry, the words, and the people he brings into my life. WOW, I find that kind of miraculous.

Sylvia Plath: In the beginning, there was Sylvia Plath. I met her in my dark, icky, seeking purpose hours as a teenager, and I was like, “Hey, I’m not going crazy after all!” Too bad her poetry couldn’t save her the way it saved me. If you read one book by Plath, let it be The Unabridged Journals. Simply sublime.

Jane Fonda: I’ve always adored me some Jane. She’s been around as long as Cher and has influenced me with her strong feminist voice, political activity, philanthropy, acting ( I love Klute ), and yes, I used to do her exercise tapes every single day. ~BTW, if you haven’t watched Jane Fonda in 5 Acts, YOU MUST!

—-Note: I have several people who blow my tiger socks off; these are only a few. How about you, darlings?

Marcia @ Menopausal Mother
    October 19, 2018 at 7:45 am

All wonderful people. Right now, Lady Gaga has my heart

elizabeth
    October 19, 2018 at 7:53 am

Dear Kim,
    What a fabulous list! You left me off it. 🙂 Very inspiring.!

xoxo

elizabeth

Lady Fi
    October 19, 2018 at 7:56 am

So wonderful!

angiesrecipes
    October 19, 2018 at 11:02 am

I must get some Elizabeth Berg’s books! Thanks for sharing, Kim.
    angiesrecipes recently posted..Einkorn Vanilla Protein Pumpkin Bread With Port Soaked RaisinsMy Profile

Valentine Logar
    October 19, 2018 at 11:09 am

You, I continue to be awed
    My Dad (passed)
    My Step Mother, heart mom (passed)

So many others both alive and dead inform my life daily. I am blessed. I love your list.

Elephants Child
    October 19, 2018 at 11:31 am

Love your varied inspirations.
    Hugs.

Nan
    October 19, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Obviously first and foremost, God & Jesus for obvious reasons – I wouldn’t even have survived my 20’s without them.
    Leland, my Alpha Hubby. Without him I would never have known true, real fairy tale type unconditional love.
    Joshua, my Alpha Son. Without him I would never have known a love beyond description.
    My parents who taught me to be fearless, which certainly helped with surviving those things from my 20’s.
    Since I never wear shoes until I have to; never wear socks unless it’s freezing – these people blew m socks off a long time ago – hooray!
    Nan recently posted..He is My Sweetest PassionMy Profile

Jodi Aman
    October 19, 2018 at 4:43 pm

I love everyone on here!

Greenglobaltrek
    October 19, 2018 at 7:32 pm

What an interesting combination of people on your list! I watched the Jane Fonda excerpt and want to see more…. and I watched the very poignant video of Billy Bob Thornton ~thank you. And for the book recommendations.

Malala is pure heroine isn’t she? It is hard to conceive of such courage and bravery and.. everything. Such an inspiration too.

I think Lady Gaga is pretty awesome too in so many ways.

Your dad ~ how wonderful!

Great post Kim.

Xoxoxo
    Peta
    Greenglobaltrek recently posted..Gems from Southern France (part 1): Bouzigues and PezenasMy Profile

October 20, 2018 at 7:36 am

Kim, I love that you included your dad and Jesus on this list!! How blessed you are to still have your dad to hug and text. I miss mine soooo much, especially at this time of year.

lisa thomson
    October 20, 2018 at 1:58 pm

All of these ladies are sensational. Pull of the Moon was my introduction to the endearing Elizabeth Berg books. The fact that you father is on this list is just so sweet it brings tears to my eyes, Kim. And, Jesus? Whoa. Ya!! I’ve seen the Jane Fonda film and it was really great. Entertaining, eye opening and so raw and honest. Thanks for sharing your list Kim. It’s an inspiration and a reminder that there are so many good people in the world doing amazing things; whether it’s making a movie, spaghetti sauce or writing. xxoo
    lisa thomson recently posted..The Original EscapeeMy Profile

October 20, 2018 at 5:15 pm

My dear daughter Kim, I love you more than you will ever know. I love your blogs and all your writings I also like some of the people that you like but not all of them. I love the verse Matt 11-28

Jeri Walker
    October 21, 2018 at 6:36 am

Gaga is awesome for so many reasons! I can’t wait to see A Star is Born!

October 21, 2018 at 11:57 pm

🙂 Mandy xoxo

October 22, 2018 at 7:31 am

Every time I read you I remember I should read Sylvia Plath…I will.
    Love your list. Love your dad texting “i Love you” every morning. WOW.
    Jesus, God, Angels, they are part of my tribe!
    Discovered Lady Gaga in A star is born – breathtaking.
    Malala’s story and voice made a difference in my life.
    Sending you love Kim. xoxo
    Marie Kléber recently posted..Anger, guilt, family and forgivenessMy Profile

Christine Carter
    October 22, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Kim, this was SO inspiring to read and to watch those videos too. You picked some INCREDIBLE people. I would have chosen many of the same, and I can I borrow your daddy for a time? Oh, my. heart. You are SO LOVED.

ALL of these are worthy of our honor, all of these people teach us to be better, all of these people bring meaning to this world, especially Jesus- the One and only.
    Christine Carter recently posted..Five Tips For Self-Care During These Really Hard TimesMy Profile

Kimberly
    October 24, 2018 at 4:04 am

I adore that you love BIlly Bob Thornton. I think he’s a fantastic actor. Still cracks me up when I watch Bad News Bears.
    Lady Gaga is everything. Her voice and music just speaks to my soul. Very talented and real. Have you seen her netflix documentary? If you haven’t, I recommend it. My son is also a big Lady Gaga fan.
    Love you gorgeous xxoxo

Sandra Garth
    November 14, 2018 at 8:46 am

What a unique group and now I’m interested to know more about Billy Bob Thornton.