(I’ve been asked these questions several times since blogging, & now I like to take the opportunity to answer them)
- People who bump their food together as if to say ‘cheers.’ WTF? Drives me nuuuuts.
- I cannot stand the thought of something (animals, humans, the environment) being abused, hurt, hungry, sad, belittled, or minimized in a world that has so much to offer.
- The word “Tolerant.” ( what a ridiculous word )
Best Film of All Time
- Spartacus ( the old one w/ Kirk Douglas ) The last scene always gets me choked up. “Spartacus, this is your son. He is FREE.”
- To be hired as a speech writer for somebody like Michele Obama. Ooooo, Myyyyy!
Cool Things I’d like to accomplish
- A Ted Talk about gratitude
- Write a book w/ short essays about how I arrived back home
What I consider a Fabulous Day?
- Well, that’s easy. Being with my big fat loud Italian family eating pasta, discussing deep issues of the world, doing trivia, laughing.
- Walking with my audio books. Lolita has been my favorite. ( read by Jeremy Irons )
- I rip articles I want to read from magazines at the hair solon, dentist, and doctor’s office.
- I pluck flowers from the neighbor’s yard on my walks to put on Kay’s gravesite.
- I draw mustaches on bulletin boards when I see political figures or yucky people I don’t like. Shhhh, DON’T Tell!
Books that triggered me to begin writing
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I remember saying aloud, “This is not a book about BIRDS! This is a book about ME:” ( my first metaphor )
- Ariel by Sylvia Plath. After the first poem, I was like, “I get you, Sylvia!” Isn’t this what poetry/ writing is supposed to accomplish?
Books I’ve read over & over again
- Pull of the Moon, The Bell Jar, Ariel, Talk Before Sleep, Eat-Pray-Love, The Diary of Anne Frank, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Rose, Traveling Mercies, Night, The Book of Ruth. ( everything by Elizabeth Berg )
Worst day of my life
- When my sister, Kay, was murdered. It was like living & dying inside the depths of triple Hell.
Best Series of all time
- Call the Midwives
- Sex and the City
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Big Little Lies
- Game of Thrones
I am always hungry for
- Cheese puffs
- Chocolate ( except tootsie rolls )
How many Root Friends Do You have?
- I have six root friends who have been with me thru good times and hellish times–who have a long history with me. They will be with me when I die or I will be with them!….But NOBODY will ever come close to my darling, Kay. She is part of everything I am and will ever be.
- When my entire family ( including Kay ) and my boys watched me walk to get my college degree.
- When my boys were born.
Why do you write?
- To release darkness, light, excess words, thoughts, ideas, insights, encouragement, anger, hope, love. Oh, hell with it; the truth is–I write to breathe.
What is the soul?
- The core of who we are, the essence of our being, our pulse, our light, the purest love, memories, our flowing blood, freedom. The closest thing to God.
Who is God?
The creator of the universe, science, the big bang. The first and the last. The reason I haven’t placed my head inside an oven. The hope I still have. Emanuel. Prince of Peace. My sister, Kay, called Him Papa. Yeah, that’s sort of who He is to me, too.
- Life is not a fist. Life is an open hand waiting for some other hand to enter it.—Elie Weisel
Finish this sentence: I want the world to know…
Life goes on. We survive. We have choices. We inhale and exhale, if we want. We can live or we can die, if we want. I imagined I could never go forward without my sister. I have. And I am here to tell you God will never waste our pain, our loss, our heartache. He will use fully to help others rise. He will use it to tell others they are not alone.
He will use it to tell others, “Life is beautiful.”
~~~~Other Stuff I Love:
Sylvia Plath Interview ( I’ve listened to MANY times!)
Favorite Scene of All Time:
****After Note: I am addicted to royalty, Queens, Princesses’. I LOVE Elizabeth the 1st and Lady Diana~~! My prediction is that Meghan Markle will rock the palace like they’ve never seen in the past. I’m
very very very excited to see how she will promote and advocate for women all over the world. Will you be watching the Royal Wedding? xxxX