5 Of My Favorite, Groovy, Awe-Inspired Things

Image result for handmaid's tale

1. HANDMAID’S TALE:  Okay, I know I’m repeating myself; I tend to do this…but Atwood really speaks to me, to my soul; her words, sentences, strong female characters, metaphor, and prophesy kick my ass. This novel started out as science fiction, but ended up as non-fiction in 2017.  Frightening, right? Read it and find out for yourselves—OR WATCH the series on HULU. This has won every award and deserves the accolades! Belieeeeve me.

1. BIG LITTLE LIES:   I read Liane Moriarty’s novel first and the series on HBO lives up to the book, which is rare. Immediately after the last episode, I predicted Nicole Kidman would receive the Emmy. ( I should’ve been a casting director ) In case you haven’t heard, SHE WON! Dazzling, extraordinary characters, but nothing compares to Kidman in her powerful, authentic, Oscar winning portrayal of a domestically abused woman.

1. JUST KIDS:   I was introduced to Patti Smith by my fabulous, New York friend, Elizabeth Cassidy, and I’m wondering how Smith has slipped from my reading list all these years. She hung out with the likes of Mapplethorpe, Ginsberg, and Warhol, just to name a few. Smith’s recollections of these dynamic artists are tender, layered, exciting, and spilling over with love. We would’ve definitely had wine together!

Image result for patti smith just kids

1. SHIT TOWN: John despises Alabama with its meth heads, tattooed losers, uneducated high school drop-outs, and murderers. Nobody is going anywhere except strait to Hell. John sees this clearly and fully, but doesn’t know what to do about it. He calls a journalist to visit Shit Town to tell his story, but we receive more than we bargained for. My first Podcast! And it was a WOWie WOW WOW!   ( Listen to the first chapter below ) & Get Hooked.

1. A-TYPICAL:    An 8 part series about an eighteen year old autistic boy trying to maneuver his way in a world that sometimes doesn’t accept him, or see the beauty of his differences. I watched this in one sitting ( On a school night! ) It has everything you want: Humor. Relatable situations. And Sam will grab your heart and make you FEEL everything he feels. This is a HIT.

Image result for atypical netflix

——Readers, what are some of your favorite books, series, or films, which have made a difference in your lives?

Lady Fi
    September 24, 2017 at 11:59 am

I definitely need to watch A-typical! My daughter says it is good too. I’m watching something called the X Company – about the underground during the Second World War. It’s good. As is Underground (about the Underground Railway.)

September 24, 2017 at 12:07 pm

The Keepers. A documentary series about a murder and sexual abuse that happened in a Catholic high school years ago. I could not stop watching it.

totally caroline
    September 24, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Definitely want to see The Handmaid’s Tale. I read the book a loooooong time ago… alas, no Hulu 😖

Barbara
    September 24, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I haven’t seen The Handmaid’s Tale yet, but looking forward to it! I’ve been reading biographies and memoir more than anything else. Probably because I’ve been writing my memoir. I LOVED Al Franken’s latest book! He should run for President!
    xob

Elephants Child
    September 24, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I am a reader rather than a watcher – but LOVE Margaret Attwood. So talented. And sadly so prophetic.

Nan
    September 24, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Great loves you have here! We cut out our TV until December (yikes), lost Netflix temporarily because modem flipped out. Guess I needed to get a book and curl up on my couch – yay!

Minnesota Prairie Roots
    September 24, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the watching and reading material.

Kim gagnon
    September 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Love you!😘💋❤️

Angie@Angie's Recipes
    September 24, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Gotta watch HANDMAID’S TALE! Have a great week ahead, Kim.

September 25, 2017 at 1:15 am

I have some serious catching up to do, I have only seen and heard of Big Little Lies – was outstanding to say the least!
    Sending you sunshine filled love and hugs xoxoxoxo

Dawn
    September 25, 2017 at 4:32 am

I read “Lies” and loved it but didn’t even know it was on TV. I don’t watch enough TV to even know what any of these are. I guess I need to catch up!

domermom
    September 25, 2017 at 7:11 am

Kim, thanks for flagging these. I tend to read way more than watch TV or movies. I blame it on being a writer and a creative, one far too sensitive for some of this gritty material. Hugs from HOT central Illinois!

Annette Connelly
    September 25, 2017 at 11:06 am

The Keepers. Stolen Innocence, and on a naughtier note, Desperate Housewives.

Blessings,

Little Chicke

Jeri
    September 25, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I fell in love with Big Little Lies during season seven of Game of Thrones. I downloaded the free trial of HBONow to see that season, but then ended up watching Kidman’s stunning performance as well. Then when my sister came to visit during my surgery, I watched it again with her. It’s REALLY good. I liked that it kept me guessing who the dead parent was going to be. I was so wrong and didn’t change my inkling until the last couple of episodes.

Sandra L Garth
    September 27, 2017 at 11:06 am

Originally, I thought Handmaids Tale wouldn’t appeal to me, but now I’m very interested. Atypical seems like one to check out also.

lisa thomson
    September 27, 2017 at 12:57 pm

I LOVED Big Little Lies. It was addicting. Nicole was amazing as the abused wife. It was very well done and realistic I thought. Admittedly, it took me a few episodes to get hooked. I read Handmaid’s Tale so very long ago but still recall how disturbing it was. Another of her novels has been made into a new series; Alias Grace. Also, a great read. It’s always nice to hear about what you’re loving, Kim. Thanks for the share. xxoo <3

Balroop Singh
    September 27, 2017 at 7:19 pm

I have read The Handmade’s Tale, a gripping tale but I wished each second that it would remain fiction. I have watched some episodes of Big Little Lies but didn’t get addicted. Thanks for mentioning Just Kids, I would like to read it.

Dana
    September 28, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Big Little Lies was an excellent adaptation of the book – a rare thing! And S-town was fascinating too. I think I may have to watch Atypical next…

Kristi Campbell
    September 30, 2017 at 8:08 pm

OMG I love all of the ones I know, and the only one I don’t is “Just Kids.” HT — OMG!!!! I knew what to expect from the book (and listened to the audio version by Claire Danes before watching as I’d read the original soooo long ago) BUT OMG. And yes to what Dana said about BLL being such a great adaptation of the book. I loved Atypical but was bummed when it ended so quickly.
    Want to watch some darkness???? Wentworth. OMG. I had to pause to absorb and shed off how evil these people were.

Christine Carter
    October 1, 2017 at 7:29 am

Ah, I always LOVE learning what YOU love!! I JUST finished The Handmaid’s Tale- because YOU had mentioned it on FB I think? Um, wow. The others, sadly I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Off to go look into all of these… There is SO MUCH GOOD STUFF OUT THERE!!

October 1, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I do have Just Kids on my list of books to read. I think you might have said something about it before Kim.
    I think that the book that made a difference in my life is Bird by Bird – It just changed my writing, the way I started to see the world and how it started to inspire me in return.
    Love you Kim. For who you are and what you share.
    XOXO

Anna Johnston
    October 1, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Recently I watched The Giver, which is about a small community of people who live in a seemingly idyllic world of conformity and contentment. A boy is given the gift of knowledge, as he learns about emotion like love, it really impacted the way I look at my life, since I’ve tried to approach everything I do like it’s the first time. It totally changed my perspective, I’ve stopped confirming to what society expects. That all probably doesn’t make sense, but it changed my world.

Kimberly
    October 2, 2017 at 7:44 am

I have wanted to watch the Handmaid’s Tale forever and ever and ever. It’s on my list of things to watch. Now, I can’t watch movies with Nicole Kidman in it. She is just one of those actresses that ruin it for me. I know. I don’t know why. I don’t. She just crawls under my skin and sits there uncomfortably and she’s all I can think of all movie. Am I weird. Do we all have that one actress or actor that does that?

Barbara Schieving
    October 2, 2017 at 8:36 am

I’m putting Handmaid’s Tale and Atypical on my must watch list.

Marcia @ Menopausal Mother
    October 6, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Believe it or not, I’ve never seen any of these shows, but my daughter watches Atypical. She is a special ed teacher—most of her students are autistic, so she can relate to a lot of what she watches on that show. My kids recently turned me on to Netflix’s “Stranger Things”, and I watched the entire 1st season in three days. It is AWESOME!!! I highly recommend it!