- HANDMAID’S TALE: Okay, I know I’m repeating myself; I tend to do this…but Atwood really speaks to me, to my soul; her words, sentences, strong female characters, metaphor, and prophesy kick my ass. This novel started out as science fiction, but ended up as non-fiction in 2017. Frightening, right? Read it and find out for yourselves—OR WATCH the series on HULU. This has won every award and deserves the accolades! Belieeeeve me.
- BIG LITTLE LIES: I read Liane Moriarty’s novel first and the series on HBO lives up to the book, which is rare. Immediately after the last episode, I predicted Nicole Kidman would receive the Emmy. ( I should’ve been a casting director ) In case you haven’t heard, SHE WON! Dazzling, extraordinary characters, but nothing compares to Kidman in her powerful, authentic, Oscar winning portrayal of a domestically abused woman.
- JUST KIDS: I was introduced to Patti Smith by my fabulous, New York friend, Elizabeth Cassidy, and I’m wondering how Smith has slipped from my reading list all these years. She hung out with the likes of Mapplethorpe, Ginsberg, and Warhol, just to name a few. Smith’s recollections of these dynamic artists are tender, layered, exciting, and spilling over with love. We would’ve definitely had wine together!
- SHIT TOWN: John despises Alabama with its meth heads, tattooed losers, uneducated high school drop-outs, and murderers. Nobody is going anywhere except strait to Hell. John sees this clearly and fully, but doesn’t know what to do about it. He calls a journalist to visit Shit Town to tell his story, but we receive more than we bargained for. My first Podcast! And it was a WOWie WOW WOW! ( Listen to the first chapter below ) & Get Hooked.
- A-TYPICAL: An 8 part series about an eighteen year old autistic boy trying to maneuver his way in a world that sometimes doesn’t accept him, or see the beauty of his differences. I watched this in one sitting ( On a school night! ) It has everything you want: Humor. Relatable situations. And Sam will grab your heart and make you FEEL everything he feels. This is a HIT.
——Readers, what are some of your favorite books, series, or films, which have made a difference in your lives?