“All extremes of feeling are allied with madness.” –Virginia Woolf, Orlando
- Chopped: I tape every episode. For me, cooking is like writing. Starting from nothing and creating something beautiful— adding a herb for depth, a spice for substance, a spice for a kick in the ass. I’m obsessed.
- Orange is the New Black: Don’t underestimate women in prison, babe. This tour de force is about deep relationships, love, women, & taking care of one another. I’m obsessed.
- Lipstick: I cannot and will not exit a store without buying a new tube of lipstick. After all these years, I still haven’t found the perfect shade. Yeah, it’s a bit of a quandary. Just ask Mr. L. I’m obsessed.
- Sylvia Plath: I’ve read every book, every essay, every poem. Plath is the reason I write today, the reason I survived my teen years. Too bad words couldn’t have saved her from the oven. I’m obsessed.
- Audio Books/All Books: I’ve listened to hundreds, perhaps thousands of audio books. You can see me walking up 65th and Cody with my Bose headset like a big dork. The best reader thus far has been Jeremy Irons reading Lolita. His voice is maple syrup pouring inside both ears. I’m obsessed.
- This Scene From Sex & The City: Clip from my absolute favorite, kick-ass, uninhibited, sensational, “Empowering ALL Women Series.” I’m Obsessed.
- Writing. Words: People have asked, “Kim, why do you write?” I ask them, “Why do you breathe?” I’m obsessed.
- Cats: I’ve been known to walk into private yards to pet a stranger’s cat. I’ve only known a world with Tabby’s, Siamese, purring, meowing, and long, sleek tails. You could say, I’m obsessed.
- London: Multicultural, historical, and overflowing with magic. The scent of curry rising, black pudding, English bacan, & bangers thrill me. She has her own heartbeat, her own style, her own gorgeousness. I can’t get enough. I’m obsessed.
- Family: Big, fat, loud, outrageous, loving, opinionated, touchy/feely, mouth kissing Italians. And they are ALLlllll MINE. I’m obsessed.
- Elizabeth Berg: I call her my “Hot Fudge Sundae” author, because her words taste sweet and she makes me feel really good inside. I’ve read all of her books at least two times. Recommendation: Talk Before Sleep ( A book about deep female relationships ) I’m obsessed.
- All Things BBC: For some reason, the British do it right. I think they shall take over the universe. Blimey, I think they already have. I’m obsessed.
- The Game of Thrones: Power. Survival of the fittest. Love. Sex. Rock and Roll. (just kidding about the rock and roll ) Oh, did I mention POWER? The players have changed, but the game remains the same. ( I took that line from Working Girl) I’m completely, utterly, totally, outrageously, insanely obsessed.
- Justine Crumb: OOOOOOO-Mmmmm-Ggggg. (((((SHIVERS))) He makes me FEEL and people should make us FEEL, right? I’m obsessed.
- The Baking Isle at Grocery Stores: Brown sugar. Real vanilla bean. Giant Bars of sweet chocolate. Salted pecans. Dark chocolate chips. Cinnamon chips. Toffee bits. Butterscotch Chips. Cocoa. Oh, and the Spices! (have you ever seen saffron?) I’m obsessed.
—–Darling, Reader, what are some of your obsessions? XXxx