—The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen. –Elisabeth Kubler Ross
–Do you have a story about how you survived an unbearable, insufferable event in your life?
How did this crisis change you, make you grow? What lessons did you learn? Did you become empowered afterwards? Were you angry with God? Do you believe that light is stronger than darkness? Can you help others because of your pain?
My Inner Chick / Kim Sisto Robinson is asking for 500 word non-fiction essays about how you rose up from the ashes, the dirt, the darkness after an unexpected, painful experience in your life.
I despise the word “contest,” so we shall not say it! Never! EVvvvvvER.
Tia (my English teacher favorite-fabulous girlfriend) and I will select the essay/story, which kicks our asses the most & makes us feel deeply.
Here are the guidelines:
- 500 words (or less) non-fiction piece about your experience. (I will not accept anything over 500 words )
- I am more concerned about content than grammar, but I’m not going to edit for publication, so try to be good!
- Let go of everything. Do not be inhibited. Take off your layers. Remember, nobody has the same story as yours.
- Since I know an abundance of writers out there, I’m having submissions sent to Mr. Liverpool at firstname.lastname@example.org He will remove your name, so I don’t favor the writers I adore and worship. You know who you are, darlings.
- Send your submission attached to the email above.
- Type “Submission for Rising Up” on the subject line. Make sure your full name is on this submission w/ email.
- Deadline: February 15, 2015
The person who kicks our asses the most will receive my favorite book of 2014, WILD by Cheryl Strayed
And for those living in the USA, you will also receive 1 dozen of Saint Shirley’s Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies. YESSSSSS.
Oh, and your essay will be featured on My Inner Chick’s Facebook Page and Blog. You will be tweeted, dugg, googled, and placed on other blogs, too!
In closing, I want to say I looooooove all of you & I can’t wait to read your stories. Remember, I will not know who you are until the very end.
Darling, readers, are you ready to tell your story?
—–You did everything to bury me, but you forgot that I was a seed.—Dinos Christianopoulous