1. Post At Least 2 Times Per Month: But no need to feel guilty if you don’t. Never apologize. This is your home, your words, your creative space. If your writing is unique, interesting, surprising, & relevant, your readers will be thirsty for more of your delectable words and perspective. I LOVE reading blogs about imperfect people with imperfect lives. You know, people like me.
2. Create Intriguing Titles: For example: 9 Ways To Kick Blog Ass. And I would definitely read this post!: 40 Effed Up Things About Being 40
3. Authenticity: Never, Ever, Nooo way in hell— underestimate your readers. Believe me, they will determine instantly if you’re a plastic, bullshit person. Furthermore, they’re not interested in your oh-so-perfect life & your oh-so-perfect Harvard bound snot nosed kids. They want to read about Real Life, True Life, Relatable Life. They want to be able recognize themselves through you. FYI: The famous mommy blogger, dooce , gives her readers everything. Yeah, every. rotten. dirty. detail. The payoff is 4,040,000 page views per month
4. Social Networking! Promote! Pump It Up! Immediately after I finish a blog posting, I begin the social networking: I tweet, Digg, facebook, Google, Bing, Yahoo, Pingoat, Yahoo, Liquida, del.icio.us, Whew! Social networking is unbelievably, fantastically, exhausting—but if you don’t promote, it’s like writing profound words and leaving them dangling on your computer to rot in loneliness. Note: Even though you may disagree, it helps to know big-time bloggers & stars. Do you hear me Lady Gaga? All I’m asking for is a single tweet.
5. Comment / Acknowledge Your Readers: This is a good thing. This is the right thing. Especially when the comment advances the conversation to another level. Disregard this tip if you don’t give a damn about receiving comments on your blog or building relationships with your readers.
6. Engage With Your Readers: I’ve grown to love my readers and other bloggers. Quite seriously, several of them have become my friends, encouragers, inspirations, and pro-active voices for my cause. I talk to some of these chicks, especially Elizabeth Cassidy– on the phone regularly & I’ve even met some face to face, skin to skin, eye to eye.
For example, I met fabulous Wild Child Mama last year at Kay’s walk!
7. Do Not Preach: Unless you’re a priest, pastor, monk, Shirley MacLain, or Jesus Christ himself. Readers want to make their own decisions & conclusions. Remember, they have as much intelligence and brilliance as you do, so Do. Not. Tell. Them. How. To. Think.
8. Give Good Voice: If you’re not passionate and motivated about your writing, ideas, content, or life— believe me, NOBODY else will be either. Why should they be?
9. Find A Cause You Fully Support: I’ve observed that several kick ass bloggers have a cause they care deeply about. For example, Art, Animal Rescue, Female Empowerment, God, Post Partum Depression, Fabulous Food, Politics, Domestic Abuse. When you find your true calling, you will quickly realize others will advocate, uphold, and generate your mission to transform the world, too.
—Dear, Reader, what is your calling, passion, joy? Click here for ideas & More Causes