1. Blog Frequently (at least 4 times per week): If your writing is first-rate & relevant, your readers will be thirsty for more of your delectable words. For me, I will not subscribe to a blog that is wishy washy, dull, or posts spontaneous content whenever the hell they feel like doing so.
2. Utilize Trendy Titles: One posting that captured my eye immediately wrote this at the top of his blog about the bad boy of American Idol—Adam Lambert Gives Good Headline!” Another great caption from Jezebel was: “My Ass Enormous & So is Yours.” Would you read those posts? I would….And I did.
3. Be Honest/Personal: Never underestimate your readers. Believe me, they will determine instantly if you’re a phony asshole. Furthermore, they’re not interested in your oh-so-perfect life & your oh-so-perfect kids. They want to hear about Real Life, Truth. They need to recognize that you are like them…that you encompass weakness, imperfection, & flaws. FYI: The famous mommy blogger, Dooce, gives her readers everything. Yeah, every. rotten. dirty. detail. The payoff: 4,040,000 page views per month. No, never underestimate your reader.
4. Social Networking! Promote! Sell Your Body (just kidding!): Immediately after I finish a blog posting, I begin the social networking: I tweet, Digg, facebook, Google, Bing, Pingoat, Yahoo, Liquida, del.icio.us, Whew! Social network is unbelievably, fantastically exhausting….but hopefully worth it in the end.
5. Comment On Other Blogs: Think about it. Are you done thinking? Okay. Are you so narcissistic & self absorbed that you assume that others ought to comment on your blog, but you disregard her/his blog? Don’t do that. That is So-Not-Cool. And of course, I have a word for that: Biach. (Unless of course, you are Dooce & have too many comments to keep up with.)
6. Engage With Your Readers: When your readers take the time to comment Or contact you, it would be every-so-mannerly if you validated what they had to say—even if you disagree. Get the dialogue flowing, babe.
7. Do Not Preach: Unless you’re a priest, Pastor, monk, or God himself. Readers want to make their own decisions & conclusions. Remember, they have as much or more intellect and brilliance as you do!
8. Get Your Blog Badge on Other Sites: My web person, Diane, created this for me. Btw, have I told you how exquisite you are lately, Diane? Anyhow, I have asked other bloggers to place this badge on their sites. Most of them are happy to.
9. “Give Voice” To What You Are Passionate About: Are you interested in “Pop Culture,” “Body Image,” “Poetry,” “Women’s Issues?” Whatever you are passionate about….Whatever your voice is burning to scream…..This is what you must be writing about!
10. It’s Not All About You. Find A Cause: I’ve found that most bloggers have a cause they promote & deeply care about. Whether it’s Americas For the Arts, Books into Trees, Animal Rescue, Domestic Abuse Foundation, Indian College Fund, or The Jane Goodall Institute, find out what you care about and support that particular cause. Place the information on your blog-site to share with your readers. You’ll be pleased you did.
~~What Ideas do you have? Do you have any suggestions how I can make my site better? Give me the scoop.
Find A Cause ——Causes We Support | Red Room